Monday, March 2, 2009

Moms don't get sick


Well not that they don't, they do. I mean they can have a cold, stomach issues whatever. But they pop OTC meds and off with their day they go. Not missing a beat.

So what I think I mean is that they "can't" get sick. Well I broke that rule this week. Whatever this is that I have, has without mincing words...kicked my ass. I have been sick now for six days and counting. I probably was coming down with it for a few more days before that...but I followed the pop the OTC meds rule and proceeded on. But I did breakdown and go to the Dr. after day 2.

So many people around me have gotten sick this year. And when they were laid up for days I thought..yeah...when I am sick I just keep going no laying in bed for me. I would like a little of that sick when I could just lie in bed for days. I know...be careful what you wish for.

For the record...I hate laying in bed other then when it's bedtime. I lay there feeling miserable thinking of all the things I should be doing. Like say for example, getting the house ready for the 30+ people coming here on the weekend for brunch. Or the movie night with the girls that I am missing. grr.

DH did a great job of holding down the fort for a few days. he even made homemade chicken matzoh ball soup ( know I spelled that wrong..) for dinner one night. And served it to me in bed.
But being the person that I am, I still needed to do things my way. So I tried to do stuff around the house during the week like I normally do. Just that nothing was done the way I normally do it because I just didnt have the strength. And all the halfway job of doing things landed me back in bed after all kids were present and accounted for after school every afternoon.

Moms get sick but really they can't . It's like a week lost. Email piling up...text messages from people wondering where I have been all week. Un-returned phone calls from people asking why I didnt tell them I was sick. Sorry not my style to make announcements about my state of sickness. And really not in me to reiterate my tale of woe....Laundry, mail. The family tries really they do. I have issues. I know this, move on.

So no more sick for me. I did my time. I am done. I had better feel ok tomorrow or I will not be happy. Tomorrow when I wake up I had better not feel like I have my head underwater...I will lipstick my chapped from breathing through my mouth lips, powder my blown way too many times nose, and go have breakfast with my friends when my darlings have all been sent off for the day. No more pajamas or socks in layers on my frozen feet. Perhaps maybe even earrings.

Pop those OTC meds (and the antibiotics from the Dr.) and off I will go. Ambitious? Maybe. But I am mom and I can't be sick.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When we signed that Mom contract we really should have negotiated for better benefits! I know how you feel though - that's why it took me 4 weeks to realize that I had pneumonia! I just kept going, and going...
Well, here's to make-up and earrings!!
Wish I could go to breakfast...