Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blast from the past


Saw a bunch of old high school friends the other night. It was really a nice night. Even though it was ridiculously cold and when I was getting dressed I was thinking I really just should stay in my pj's tonight and stay in. I am glad I went. When I see people that I haven't seen in 20 years it's really so fun. You freak out when you realize who you are standing in front of after all these years. And for that little while it feels good to spend some time with people who knew you before. Before you were someone's wife, or someone's mom, or that woman from the PTA or that lady that lives down the block. They knew you for you. A friend, a crush, a girl that was in your 4th grade class or your best friend from down the street. When all you had to worry about was you. What you were wearing that day...how you look, how much homework you had, and what you and your friends were going to do on the weekend. And though the next morning it's back to dirty dishes in the sink that the kids left when I was out with my friends, and dinner to make and laundry to fold, and other people's homework to check. It's ok. It's my life now. A life I wouldn't trade for anything. The life I love. It's still nice when you get the chance to take a brief trip back in time and remind yourself of other happy times and of who you were...once.

No comments: