Thursday, January 29, 2009

A recipe a week

I was talking with relatively "newbie" mom (her oldest is 7...I win my oldest is almost 16) today while we waited for our "Ninjas" to come out of karate class. She was saying that she can't wait to be able to make new things for dinner when her kids are bigger like mine.

HA! Had to burst her bubble and say it only gets worse and now, they not only don't want to eat it, they make fun of it. Ask the Diva about "Caesar Salad Pasta" when you see her. (it was yucky I admit it..) But how do you know unless you try it. And I am not going to experiment on guests so when can I try stuff then??? Exactly.

So that leads me to my file. That, (no lie) has recipes I want to try cut out of magazines that go back to 1999!!!!! I am sure if analyzed I must have some type of issue. But having said that I want to try these things. I have tried some. Some are tried and true like Greek Olive Dip (yum-o). And some went in the garbage after trying, i.e. "Easy Cheesy Corn Bake" (ew). I got the idea/recipe for the most spectacular 6 year old birthday cake I ever made from that folder.
So one of my New Year "ideas" (remember no resolutions!) is to try a new recipe a week. I was going to do one a day but I decided that was too much pressure and may cause a mutiny. And it won't always be main dish or even a dinner dish. Just something new.

So here are two sides I tried this week...yes two this week I was very ambitious. They actually got thumbs up and I will put them in my recipe book. They have to be good, cause I work for a tough crowd.

Crisp Smashed Potatoes

3-4lbs of the smallest red or white potatoes you can find; washed.
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Place potatoes in a large pot so they are in one layer. Cover with cold water and then bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Transfer from pot toa baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Cover with a clean dish towel and let sit for about 5-10 minutes.

Then with the heal of your hand and using the dish towel so you don't burn your hand, gently "smash" each potato to flatten to about one inch thick. (flatten somewhat not like a pancake...just it's not round anymore) It's ok if they break a little. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Turn them over and brush with a little more oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake in a 450 oven for about 30-35 minutes or until browned and crispy. Some diners enjoyed their's with ketchup, as others used sour cream like a baked potato. Makes about 6 servings.
* * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Green Beans with Feta
1 1/2 lbs trimmed fresh or frozen green beans; thawed
1/2 cup Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
1/2 cup (I used about half of a medium sized) red onion sliced thin
4 oz crumbled feta cheese

Combine everything in a large skillet. Cover.

Cook on medium heat 10-12 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Stir in feta cheese and serve.

Bon Apetit..oh and Hi Auntie Joann! xoxox

No comments: